Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds was a magnificent Beat em’ up I played back on the Xbox 360. I remember having a ton of fun with it, in fact, the original review back from 2013 is still up on my website.
Hearing that it is back with cross-play, as well as being built from scratch in Unreal Engine 5 has me pumped! I’ll leave the trailer and the press release here for your viewing pleasure.
This trailer was very disappointing. Though, I get it, it’s a teaser trailer. Though, I wanted to see maybe some gameplay or at least some small notes about what we could expect in the future. The biggest thing I really want is for them to add on a final stage to wrap everything up; and no telling if they will or won’t by this trailer. That’s fine though. That’s what the Press Release information is for.
Publisher and developer Rocket Panda Games announced today Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Ultimate for PC and consoles, rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5, this remarkable game stands as a complete remaster of the beloved original beat’em up, “Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds,” first introduced in 2013.
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Ultimate revitalizes the classic anime brawler with enhanced visuals, improved gameplay mechanics, and an array of exciting new features, making this the definitive version of the game. Fans of the original and newcomers alike will be immersed in a captivating world of action and adventure like never before.
“We’re beyond thrilled to present Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Ultimate to both longtime fans and new players. Our team has poured passion and dedication into this remaster, with the goal of creating an unforgettable beat’em up experience.” said Gail Salamanca, co-founder Rocket Panda Games. “The original game garnered a dedicated fan base, and we are confident that the Ultimate edition will exceed their expectations and introduce the beloved franchise to a broader audience.”Story
A mysterious man known as the Phantom has awakened and hatches a plan to unseal his dark powers. By giving ancient weapons known as the F.A. (Fu-mension Artifacts) to youths with special abilities, he convinces them to battle each other with the promise to grant the wishes of the victors. However, each time the Fu-mension Artifacts are used in battle, they create a rift between parallel worlds, which will inevitably unseal the Phantom’s powers.
Waka, the daughter of the Kumon Family, a clan tasked with protecting the world from the Phantom, and her friend Mikoto, attempt to stop him. However, in an alternate timeline the Phantom manages to escape and kidnaps Waka’s younger sister, Nagi. Waka and Mikoto, along with Itsuki, self-proclaimed “Arbiter of Justice” and Yuzuha, a ninja unpersuaded by the lure of the Phantom, set off to rescue Nagi and stop his nefarious plan.Key Features
- Revamped Gameplay: Experience smoother, more fluid gameplay with retuned battle system, ensuring that every punch, kick, and special move is executed with precision.
- Co-op and Online Multiplayer: Team up with friends in local co-op or challenge up to 8 fighters from around the world cross-platform.
- Playable Enemy Characters: Take on the role of powerful adversaries from the Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds universe, each with their own distinct combat styles and abilities in Arcade Mode.
- Original Soundtrack Remastered: An all new soundtrack has been added to immerse yourself in the game’s dynamic atmosphere and also includes all of the tracks from the original and Overdrive.
- Phantom Breakers All-Girl J-Rock Band Debut: All new opening song performed by the Phantom Breakers consisting of the in-universe characters, Mikoto, Waka, Itsuki, Yuzuha and Maestra.